Sunday, September 11, 2011

Asparagus, Asiago & Fontina Cheese, Mushroom & Whatever Else You Want Pizza

Pizza is absolutely one of my favorite foods. I've definitely branched out from the extra cheese, light on the sauce I used to order as a kid! Two of my favorite ingredients are probably mushrooms and black olives. I could probably add them to any dish an be just about happy!

I once again found this recipe on gojee.com to use up some extra asparagus I had on hand. This in turn took me to the wonderful blog of Kris and Munchin with Munchkin. I added ingredients to the recipe, but used the cheeses called for in the recipe. I used refrigerated pizza dough because it was Sunday and I was being lazy.

I had never used Fontina cheese before. I looked at the packaging before I shredded it, and it definitely has the nutty flavor it speaks of. It gave a different taste to the pizza, but I definitely liked it! Again, you can put whatever ingredients you want on the pizza. We added mushrooms to ours. Normally I would also add black olives, but I didn't have any on hand this time.

Overall, we gave this a 4/5. Everyone else I was with was a little weirded out in the beginning that it didn't have sauce. In the end, everyone loved it! The flavors were a little different for pizza but definitely enjoyable!

Some of my lovely ingredients!
Asparagus, Asiago and Fontina Cheese & Mushroom Pizza-adapted from Munchin with Munchkin
Total Time: 30 Minutes
Serves 4-6 people

  • Premade pizza dough
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
  • 1/4 cup shredded asiago cheese
  • 1 cup fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • Any other ingredients you wish to have on your pizza
Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

Spread out pizza dough on a pizza stone (or a baking sheet will work just fine). In a small bowl, combine the olive oil and garlic. Brush oil mixture onto pizza dough. Sprinkle pizza with red pepper flakes and black pepper. Spread asparagus and mushrooms across the dough. Top with cheeses.

Put pizza into the over for about 7 minutes, or until the crust is cooked and the cheese is bubbly.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails