Sunday, August 11, 2013

Heat's Homemade: Cream of Anything Mix

I have decided to try to make more of my own ingredients. This is both for health and financial reasons. I'll know exactly what's in these ingredients, and I usually have most of the stuff on hand, and/or it will last me so long the initial cost will outweigh how much I don't have to spend in the future.

The thing that got me started on this was when I made this pizza sauce and pizza dough. I realized I spent just a little bit of money to buy the ingredients I didn't have, but had most of them on hand. It also tasted great and I could customize it as I chose!

The next thing I wanted to try was to make this mix for cream of chicken, mushroom, etc. soups. While the cans are relatively inexpensive, $0.66-$0.99 each, I feel like they just seem so unhealthy and gloopy. My post tomorrow will show the actual recipe I made with this, but I think it turned out great! The entire mix fits into a gallon size ziploc bag, or you could find a cool container to house it in. It then makes the equivalent of 9 cans of soup!

Cream of Anything Mix-adapted from One Good Thing by Jillee
Total Time: 5 Minutes
Makes equivalent of 9 cans of soup
  • 2 cups powdered non-fat dry milk
  • 3/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup instant chicken bouillon
  • 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
  • 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning 

Combine all ingredients in a resealable plastic bag, mixing well. Use 1/3 cup mix with 1 1/4 cup cold water for the equivalent of a can of soup. Whisk until well blended.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails