Sunday, March 14, 2010

Winter Vegetable Stew

This is an excellent crockpot recipe!  I actually barely followed the directions (which I never do), but I started out using it.

Here is the original recipe:
Winter Vegetable Stew
  • 1 can (28 ounces) Italian-style pear-shaped tomatoes
  • 4 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 4 medium stalks celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 2 medium leeks, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) vegetable or chicken broth
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 3 tablespoons cold water
Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid. Cut up tomatoes. Mix tomatoes, tomato liquid and remaining ingredients except cornstarch and water in 4-5 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat setting 8-10 hours or until vegetables are tender. Mix cornstarch and water; gradually stir into stew until blended. Cover and cook on high heat setting about 20 minutes, stirring occassionally, until thickened.

Now here is what I changed:
  • I did not use parsnips
  • I used beef broth instead of chicken or vegetable broth
  • I added mushrooms to the stew
I think the original would be good, but my version was awesome :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails