|Photo Courtesy of Crockpot365|
Total Time: 8 Hours
- 1 (15-ounce) can white kidney beans, or pinto beans (if you are going to use dry, pre-soak 2/3 cup overnight, and then cook until beans are soft)--no need to drain canned beans
- 1 cup finely diced onion (I used 2 minis)
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 3 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 1 tablespoon gluten free soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes (and juice!)
- 2 cups water
- salt to taste before serving
Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 4-5. If your beans were dry, you might need to go as long as 10 hours, depending on altitude and humidity.
Before serving, pulse a bit with a hand-held stick blender to blend some of the beans. This will thicken your broth and provide a richer flavor. If you don't have a stick blender, scoop out about 1 cup of liquid and pulse CAREFULLY! in a traditional blender, and stir back into the crock.