Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Baked Bean Soup

As I said in my baked bean post--I'm not a huge bean fan. I'll still try it when I come across a recipe though! This soup definitely wasn't bad, but it reminded me of a meatless chili! I'm not even sure what I'd do to change the recipe, but I don't think it'll get made again...

Photo Courtesy of Crockpot365
Baked Bean Soup-Adapted from More Make It Fast Cook It Slow by Stephanie O'Dea
Total Time: 8 Hours
Serves 6
  • 1 (15-ounce) can white kidney beans, or pinto beans (if you are going to use dry, pre-soak 2/3 cup overnight, and then cook until beans are soft)--no need to drain canned beans
  • 1 cup finely diced onion (I used 2 minis)
  • 1 cup diced carrot
  • 3 teaspoons dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
  • 1 tablespoon gluten free soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes (and juice!)
  • 2 cups water
  • salt to taste before serving
Use a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Put beans into pot, and top with onion and carrot. Add all seasonings and spices. Pour in the entire can of tomatoes, and add water. Stir.

Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 4-5. If your beans were dry, you might need to go as long as 10 hours, depending on altitude and humidity.


Before serving, pulse a bit with a hand-held stick blender to blend some of the beans. This will thicken your broth and provide a richer flavor. If you don't have a stick blender, scoop out about 1 cup of liquid and pulse CAREFULLY! in a traditional blender, and stir back into the crock.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails