Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Baked Beans

In this journey of trying new things, I make myself make recipes even if I think I won't like them. Unless I've made the dish at least once in the last year, I'll make it. If I've made it recently and didn't like the main ingredients, I usually won't make it again. No sense in wasting food. I've never been a huge fan of baked beans, but some are good. This recipe wasn't anything special. Nothing great, but not terrible. Just make sure that the bacon gets cooked completely before adding the beans. Also, if you are making this for only a few people, I'd suggest cutting the recipe in half. It does serve 6-8 people!

Baked Beans-adapted from Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Cooking 2
Total Time: 45 Minutes
Serves 6-8
  • 1/2 pound slab bacon, thickly sliced and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 2 (32-ounce) cans baked beans
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
  • 2 tablespoons honey
In a heavy pot or Dutch oven, add the chopped bacon and cook over medium heat just until slightly cooked. Add baked beans, ketchup, brown sugar, hot pepper sauce, and honey and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat slightly to maintain a simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until flavors are combined.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails