If you don't know where to get already cooked crabmeat-go to your grocer's fish section. There should be fully cooked, ready to eat flaked crab meat in a refrigerator.
Crab quiche-adapted from Taste of Home Cooking School
Total time: 1 hour
- 6 ounces crabmeat, flaked
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup zucchini, shredded and patted dry
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 4 egg whites plus 2 whole eggs (or 1 1/2 cups egg substitute, or 5 whole eggs)
- 1-12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- Dash of paprika
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine crab meat, cheese, zucchini, onion and mushrooms. Mix together well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased deep-dish pie plate that has been coated with cooking spray. In another medium bowl, combine the eggs, evaporated milk, mustard, salt and seasoning. Whisk well, then pour over the crust in the pie pan. Sprinkle with paprika.
Place the pie plate on a rimmed baking sheet in case of overflow. Then cook in oven for about 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.