Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Huevos rancheros

I've never made or had huevos rancheros before. Now that I've had them, unless someone tells me they are the best thing ever, I don't know that I would ever order them. There wasn't anything wrong with this recipe, there just wasn't anything that was stand out about it. I'd make it again, but it's nothing I think I'll crave. I also feel like you could just warmed up jarred salsa with some additional spices if you want to save even more time (not that this takes long anyway). Additional plus side-this dish can be gluten free if you use corn tortillas!


Huevos rancheros-adapted from Comfort Food by Cooking Light
Total time: 15 minutes
Serves 4

  • 4 (6-inch) flour tortillas
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 can chopped green chiles
  • 2 teaspoons chile powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon tabasco sauce
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat tortillas with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet. Bake tortillas for about 12 minutes or until crispy.

Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium high heat and spray with cooking spray and saute onion and garlic for about 3 minutes. Add green chiles, chile powder, cumin, oregano, tabasco sauce, and diced tomatoes. Cook, for 3 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat and simmer until eggs are cooked.

In a large skillet, heat cooking spray over medium heat. Cook eggs to your preferred method (I used over easy), about 3 minutes or until cooked through.

Top each individual tortilla with about 1/4 cup tomato mixture. Place egg on top and sprinkle with cheese. Repeat with remaining tortillas.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails