Total Time 45 Minutes
For the Soup:
2 tsp. olive oil1-1/2 lbs. Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds Italian sausage
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 28-oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces mafalda or fusilli pasta
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage, breaking up into bite sized pieces, and brown for about 5 minutes. Add onions and cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the tomato paste turns a rusty brown color.
Add diced tomatoes and chicken stock. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in basil and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Once cooked al dente add to tomato mixture and simmer to let flavors meld. While the pasta is cooking, prepare the cheesy yum. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, salt, and pepper.
To serve, place a dollop of the cheesy yum in each soup bowl, sprinkle some of the mozzarella on top and ladle the hot soup over the cheese.