Thursday, March 24, 2011

Try Again: Portobello Mushroom Stroganoff

I was super excited to try this recipe. I was severely disappointed in it for many reasons. I wasn't going to post this recipe as I started this blog with the intention of only putting items I enjoyed on it. But Scott suggested putting on failures would make it more interesting, so that's what I'm doing. If I don't like a recipe, I'm going to tag it "Try Again." Once we try it again, I'll tag it "Redone" or something along those lines...if anyone has any  thoughts on these recipes and/or the tagging process let me know!

As for this recipe, I learned a few things. Definitely do NOT overcook egg noodles. They get soggy and clump together. Also, one and a half cups of sour cream is waaayy too much (and I usually LOVE sour cream). If something seems like a lot, it probably is so start with a lower amount. The last thing I learned: read the reviews if at all possible on a recipe, and heed their advice. I did not do that this time, and definitely wish I did. As stated before, the recipe had too much sour cream and not enough seasoning to it.  Well, hopefully I'll try it again someday!


  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3/4 pound portobello mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 1/2 cups sour cream-you really only need 1/2 cup
  • 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley 
  • 8 ounces dried egg noodles
  • I added two cloves of garlic; any other veggies and/or seasonings are recommended. Meat could be added easily as well
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add egg noodles, and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside

At the same time, melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring until softened. Turn the heat up to medium-high, and add sliced mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are limp and browned. Remove to a bowl and set aside.

In the same skillet, stir in vegetable broth, being sure to stir in any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil, and cook until the mixture has reduced by 1/3. Reduce heat to low, and return the mushrooms and onion to the skillet.

Remove pan from the heat, stir together the sour cream and flour; then blend into the mushrooms. Return the skillet to the burner, and continue cooking over low heat, just until the sauce thickens. Stir in the parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over cooked eggs noodles.

Total Time: 30 minutes
Four Servings

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails