Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 2 large egg whites, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Combine pumpkin, yogurt, and 1 egg white, stirring with a whisk. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moist.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times with floured hands. Pat dough into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cut dough into 12 wedges, cutting into but not through dough. Brush remaining 1 egg white over top of dough. Sprinkle dough with cheese, pressing lightly to adhere. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until golden. Slice scones along score lines with a serrated knife. Serve warm.