Monday, July 30, 2012

Sausage Gumbo

Aaaand I'm back. It's been awhile, but I haven't stopped cooking! Just been busy!

Gumbo always makes me think of my dad. I'm not really sure why, because I actually don't remember him ever making gumbo. But gumbo makes me think on jambalya, which he loves. This recipe was good. It had a lot of flavor and a lot of good ingredients. It's not one of my favorites, but I enjoyed it!

One thing I did a little different, because of mine & Scott's work schedules was cook everything on Warm instead of low for about 8 hours. Everything was already cooked, so I wasn't afraid of anything getting into the "danger zone". It still turned out great and not burned!

Sausage Gumbo-Adapted from Taste of Home
Total Time: 4 Hours
Serves 5
  • 2 celery ribs, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 medium carrot, chopped
  • 1 medium green pepper, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 pound kielbasa, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons dried thyme
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • Hot cooked rice
In a large skillet, saute the celery, onion, green pepper and carrot in oil until tender. Stir in flour until blended, and gradually add the broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

Transfer to a 3-quart slow cooker. Stir in the sausage, tomatoes, oregano, thyme and cayenne. Cover and cook on low 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender. Serve with rice.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails