Monday, July 19, 2010

Brussels Sprouts with Water Chestnuts

I haven't totally decided how I feel about Brussels sprouts. My mom said she made them once when I was a kid but no one ate them. I don't think they are terrible, but I don't particularly like them either. The seasoning on these is good though, and it is super simple to make (like in under 10 minutes!), and I just love water chestnuts for some reason!

I just used frozen brussels sprouts, and I didn't have a steamer basket so I just followed the directions on the back of the package and boiled them.  I used a little more than a dash of pepper and nutmeg. Like I said, I like the seasoning, but I"m not sure how I feel about the veggies in general...

Brussels Sprouts with Water Chestnuts
  • 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Dash each pepper and nutmeg
Remove any loose leaves and trim stem ends of brussels sprouts. Cut an "x" in the core end of each with a sharp knife.

Place sprouts in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.

In a large skillet, melt butter. Add water chestnuts, salt, pepper, and nutmeg; heat through. Stir in brussels sprouts.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails