Saturday, January 31, 2015

Shredded pork burritos with tomatillo sauce

Aren't slow cooker's the greatest thing ever? I just love that I can put everything together the night before, and have minimal work to do when I get home. This pork recipe is more sweet than spicy for tacos-probably good if you have picky eaters.

But--those of you that like spicy food, do not dispair. I made the tomatillo sauce a bit spicy and it was absolutely heavenly. I wish I had more recipes for tomatillos. I will be honest, I don't really know what they are or how I should use them, but I always like when I do use them.

TIP: Since this is a bone-in roast, when I remove the bones, I put them in a gallon freezer bag, and keep in the freezer. Once the bag is full of bones, I'll make a bone broth out of it!

I will say though, I got to use my new Ninja blender for this, but ended up cutting my finger on the blade (it's really sharp!) :(  I am fine, but it definitely hurts!

Scott always makes fun of me for the amount of stuff I put in my tacos/burritos. Do you think it's too much for one girl to eat??

My burrito

Tomatillo sauce
Shredded pork burritos with tomatillo sauce-adapted from Taste of Home's Easy Back to School Meals
Total time: 9 hours
Serves 16
For the pork:
  • 1 bone-in pork shoulder roast (5 pounds)
  • 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
  • 3 teaspoons paprika, divided
  • 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 12 ounces cola
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
For the sauce:
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tomatillos, husks removed
  • 2 tablespoons dried cilantro
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 envelope ranch dressing mix
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • 1 garlic clove, peeled
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 16 flour tortillas
  • Cheese, black olives, lettuce, sour cream-for serving
Place roast in a greased 5-quart slow cooker. Cover with 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 teaspoons paprika, pepper flakes, cumin, salt, cola, chicken broth, onion and garlic. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. 

Shred the meat (sometimes I can do it right in the crock, sometimes I need to put it on a cutting board-do whatever is comfortable for you). Discard the bones. Return meat to slow cooker if removed. Stir in remaining brown sugar and paprika. Cover and continue to cook on low until heated through and sauce is done.

For the sauce, in a blender, combine the mayonnaise, milk, tomatillos, cilantro, jalapeno, ranch mix, lime juice, garlic and cayenne. Cover and process until blended. Pour into a small bowl and chill until serving.

Using a slotted spoon, fill each tortilla with your desired amount of pork, and top with you favorite toppings and the tomatillo sauce.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails