Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Chard-Topped Steaks

I had never tried Swiss Chard before. I honestly didn't seem bad-a lot like spinach actually!

This recipe was not as good as I wanted it to be, but I feel as though it can be fixed. I over cooked the steak for my preferences and that's just a technicality.  There was, however, too much thyme for my liking.  I'm almost thinking a different spice would be more fitting, but I haven't quite figured out what yet.

 From Better Homes & Gardens 365 Last-Minute Meals
Chard-Topped Steaks
  • 1 slice bacon
  • 4 beef tenderloin steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 1 pound)
  • 3 cups very thinly sliced fresh Swiss chard leaves (4 ounces)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper

In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet, reserving drippings. Crumble bacon; set aside. Remove skillet from heat; set aside.

Preheat broiler. Trim fat from steaks. Sprinkle steaks with salt and black pepper. Place steaks on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3-4 inches from the heat for 12-14 minutes for medium rare, turning halfway once through broiling.

Meanwhile, cook and stir Swiss chard in drippings in skillet over medium heat for 4-6 minutes or just until tender. Stir in the crumbled bacon, thyme, salt, and pepper. To serve, spoon Swiss chard mixture on top of steaks.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails