Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Creamy Phyllo Cheese Straws in Pesto

This was the first time I used a recipe from Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade Cooking 2 that I got for my birthday.  I wasn't sure what Phyllo dough was, so I looked it up on Wikipedia!  The dough was a little tough to work with as it is so thin. I thought the filling was a little bland-I might add some garlic, or even just some pepper, next time. I also rolled mine too thick, but I wasn't serving them to anyone special so I wasn't worried!  I don't quite know if I'd make them again, but if anyone else tries please give me your feed back!  The reviews on the Food Network's Website (where Sandra Lee has a TV show) gave it 3/5 stars.

I don't have a picture, because mine don't look very good and the picture in the cookbook is fantastic. However, I can't find that picture online!

Creamy Phyllo Cheese Straws in Pesto
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 box phyllo dough, thawed
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
  • Store-bought pesto, for dipping

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, lightly beaten egg, Parmesan, and salt. Stir to combine. Spoon mixture into a plastic zip-top bag. Set aside. To use as a pastry bag, cut corner off bag to make a 1/4-inch diameter opening.

Lay out thawed phyllo dough. Working quickly to keep dough from drying out: brush top sheet with melted butter, pipe cheese filling along long edge of phyllo 1/2-inch from each end. Fold over ends to seal in filling and roll up straw. Repeat with remaining sheets of phyllo and place on a baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 10 minutes.

Serve warm with pesto for dipping.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 12 minutes
Serves: 36 straws

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails