Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Banana Pancakes

I honestly cannot remember the last time I made homemade pancakes! This was a very easy recipe & almost anyone could do it! The pancakes were also awesomely fluffy, which, whenever I've made pancakes in the past, always seem to not be fluffy. I'm not quite sure what it was yet, but I'm thinking maybe the buttermilk.

The recipe also calls for a spice called cardamom. After some research, I learned that this is considered the queen of spices in Inida (with pepper being the king). And that it is extremely expensive. So after a little more digging, I found out most people suggest to not substitute. Well, I've been cooking for awhile now. Granted, nothing extremely exotic, but I've never yet come across cardamom in a recipe. I wasn't about to pay $13 for a small bottle of the stuff. So in the end, I substituted cinnamon, and it definitely did the trick!

Overall, I'd give this a 5/5. I'm definitely going to make these again when I'm craving pancakes. More often than not, I'll have everything on hand. The batter is what makes it, the banana pieces just add to it! Also, try making a double (or more!) batch, as you can cool then freeze the pancakes for a later date!This recipe is from Taste of Home Cooking School's cookbook/magazine.

Banana Pancakes
Makes 10 pancakes
Total Time: 25 Minutes

  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom (or cinnamon)
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil (any type of cooking oil will do, canola is healthier)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extra
  • 1 small firm banana, finely chopped
In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and cardamom. Combine the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in banana.

Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot griddle coated with cooking spray. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until second side is golden brown.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails