Friday, January 8, 2010

Ravioli with Peas and Shallots

This recipe is very simple and is under the "kid-friendly" section at Real Simple (I have no kids, but I get emails sent to me from Real Simple that contain those recipes so I try them!)  It is pretty bland, but better than I thought it was going to be.

Next time I make this I'm definitely going to use a tomato based sauce in addition to it.  I also think I'm going to add some mushrooms (just because I love mushrooms) when you soften the shallots.

Oh and I've never used shallots before.  They sting your eyes just as much as regular onions do (anyone have a cure for that?  i LOVE onions, but HATE how my eyes water), but aren't as strong in taste.

I also used a substitute for lemon zest because I didn't want to buy a whole lemon and not use the most of it, and everything turned out fine!

 


1 1/2 pounds cheese ravioli (fresh or frozen)
2 tablespoons butter
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1 10-ounce bag frozen peas
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Cook the ravioli according to the package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water and drain the pasta.

Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 2-3 minutes.

Add the peas, lemon zest, salt, pepper, and reserved pasta water. Cook, partially covered, until the peas are heated through, 3-4 minutes.

Divide the ravioli among bowls and top with the pea mixture.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails