Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Pasta with Bolognese Sauce

This is from Real Simple, and is listed as a freezer recipe, meaning you can make it and freeze it to eat at a later date.  I ate some of it tonight and froze the rest, so I did not use the whole pound of pasta (for 4-6 servings).  I also used canola oil instead of olive because that was what I had in the house.  I substituted turkey bacon from pancetta because I couldn't find pancetta at the grocery store and I was getting hungry!  I also substituted skim milk for the whole milk, because who uses whole milk?  I substituted spaghetti for the fettuccine (you could use any pasta).  And I omitted the parsley because I forgot to buy it, and it's more of a garnish anyway :P

I would also suggest cooking the meat separately because I had issues getting the excess fat out of the sauce from the beef.  Just a thought!






  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large yellow onion, diced
  • 3 stalks celery, diced
  • 1 carrot, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 pound pancetta, chopped (I used turkey bacon)
  • 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 1 cup dry white wine (I used Chardonnay)
  • 1 cup whole milk (sub. skim)
  • 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
  • 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1 tablespoon dried (I used the dry stuff)
  • 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped (omitted)
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1 pound dry fettuccine (any pasta will do)
In a Dutch oven (I used a saucepan), over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add the celery, carrot, and garlic and cook for 5 minutes more. Add the pancetta and cook for 5 minutes, then add the beef and cook until brown. Add the wine and the remaining ingredients and simmer for 45 minutes. Serve with cooked fettuccine. Sprinkle with Parmesan.

Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails