Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Chicken with Asparagus

When I was younger (probably middle school aged), my parents made some protein for dinner and had couscous as a side. From the first time I tried it, I told them I hated it and never wanted to eat it again. I even remember one time when I made my mom make a side of mashed potatoes especially for me because I didn't want the couscous. This recipe calls for couscous as a side dish, and I hestitated to buy it, but decided to do it. If I still didn't like it, I would know and never buy it again. I simply cannot figure out why I didn't like couscous as a kid!  It's fantastic and easy to make!  I also tagged this as gluten-free as long as you don't make the couscous!

Now for the rest of the recipe: I've never cooked asparagus before. This was super simple and it turned out great. I probably would've seasoned it a little bit, but I still can't complain.  The sauce is very simple, and I added mushrooms and onions.  Next time I might add a clove of garlic too.  This is super easy and quick and I would highly recommend it to ANYONE!



Chicken with Asparagus
  • 1 pound fresh asparagus spears
  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1 cup water
  • 10.75 ounce can condensed cream of chicken or cream of asparagus soup
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 cups hot cooked couscous
 Snap off and discard woody bases from asparagus. Set asparagus aside.

Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; reduce heat to medium. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, turning occasionally to brown evenly. Remove chicken from skillet; cover to keep warm.

In the same skillet combine asapargus and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 3-5 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Drain.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine chicken soup, chicken broth, and lemon juice. Cook and stir until heated through. Serve sauce with chicken, asparagus and hot couscous.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails