Steak au Poivre
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper (peppercorn)
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup brandy or beef broth
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (no substitutes)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
Use your fingers to press the pper onto both sides of the steaks. In a large skillet cook steaks in hot butter over medium heat to desired doneness, turning once. Transfer steaks to a serving platter, reserving drippings in skillet; keep warm.
Remove skillet from burner and allow tos tand for 1 minute. For sauce, combine brandy and beef broth (or all beef broth); carefully stir into drippings in skillet, scraping up crusty browned bits. Stir in whipping cream and mustard. Bring to boiling. Boil gently, uncovered, over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup, stirring occasionally. Spoon sauce over steaks to serve.