Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Penne Chicken Casserole

I bought a new casserole recipe book. They are just so warm and yummy and easy to put together!  I thought this recipe tasted a lot like a casserole made with alfredo sauce, except it was all 'homemade.'  I didn't have the sherry so that was omitted, but it still turned out wonderful (and the day after too)!  I also just bought a combo of grated pamesan and asiago cheese, which turned out great! I also just mixed the pasta and chicken in with the soup/sour cream mixture, which is probably easier than trying to mix it in the casserole dish. The only thing I would add to this dish is some seasoning, even if it is just salt and pepper!  No picture this time since I lost my camera last weekend :(

Penne Chicken Casserole

  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 cubes beef bouillon
  • 4 cups cooked penne pasta
  • 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup grated asiago cheese
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/3 cup dry sherry
  • 1/2 cup dry Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2-quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray. Place chicken, water and bouillon cubes in large saucepan over medium heat. Cook 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Drain liquid and discard; cut chicken into cubes. Combine pasta and chicken in prepared casserole.

Combine soup, sour cream, Asiago cheese, mayonnaise and sherry in medium bowl; mix well. Spoon evenly over pasta and chicken; lightly toss.

Toss bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and margarine in small bowl. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake 30 to 45 minutes or until top is golden brown.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made this last night and it was excellent! I added some more herbs and spices to this dish. To the 3C water I added the two beef bullion cubes, 1 chicken bullion cube and a stem of fresh rosemary. That made all the difference. I also used chicken breasts I had marinated the night before. To the sour cream, asiago cheese mixture I added 1 tsp. Paprika 1 tsp white pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and a few shakes of lawrys season salt. I didn't have any sherry so I used so white wine instead. To the bread crumb mixture I added generous amounts of cracked pepper and table salt. My Family loved this dish and trust me they are suspect of anything new. Also it was a tad dry so I rec. using less noodles or increasing the sour cream, asiago mixture a little bit. I will def. make this again. Next time I might try using some pancetta. I love the versatility of this dish. You can play around with it and come up with several variations. Thanks for sharing! Kristi Hickam

Unknown said...

Thanks for the ideas Kristi! I definitely like dishes you can make your own! I usually make them according to the recipe unless I have a thought that hits me while I'm cooking and make variations after that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails