Thursday, April 28, 2011

Blackberry Cobbler

This is the first recipe I've made from the 1985 edition of Christopher Idone's "Glorious American Food." It's a very intriguing cookbook, and I'm excited to cook more from it! This is from New England's Lobster Dinner!

Blackberry Cobbler
Total Time: 50 Minutes
Serves 6


BLACKBERRY CENTER

  • 2 quarts blackberries
  • About 1/2 cup sugar, depending on the sweetness of the berries
BISCUIT DOUGH
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • Heavy cream, for serving
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Toss together the berries and sugar in a 2-quart casserole dish.
Place in the oven for 20 minutes, until the sugar melts and the berries soften.
Meanwhile, prepare the biscuit dough:
In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
Gradually pour in the cream and mix to a sticky dough.
Remove the casserole from the oven and spoon the biscuit dough over the berries.
Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cobbler is golden brown.
Serve warm with heavy cream.

The Changes
I didn't buy the heavy cream because I just saw the "for serving" note. I didn't realize until I already had the blackberries in the oven that I needed it. I used this recipe as a substitute. I wouldn't use it all the time, but when I'm in a pinch it'll work great!

The Lessons
I think I needed a slightly bigger casserole dish. The dough ended up a little thick, so I'll need to watch that next time!

The Verdict
4/5. We need a little work, but Scott was a huge fan! I'll definitely play around with it and look forward to making it again!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails