Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Spaghetti Casserole

A great dish that can also be frozen to make at a later date!

Spaghetti Casserole
Yield: Makes TWO Casseroles
Total Time: 90 Minutes

  • 1 package (16 ounces) angel hair pasta
  • 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
  • 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
  • 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and tomato sauce. Remove from the heat.

Drain pasta. Combine soup and sour cream. In two 8-inch square baking dishes, layer half of the meat sauce, pasta, soup mixture and cheese. Repeat layers.

Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350 degrees for 55-65 minutes or until cheese is melted.

To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed.

The Changes
I added some mushrooms I had on hand, which turned out great. I added garlic salt after the fact as well.

The Lessons
I forgot to read the whole recipe before I started cooking (something I'm notorious for). I didn't realize it was for two casseroles until after I started cooking the meat. So my casserole had twice as much meat as it originally called for, but it still turned out great!
Another lesson I've said before, is that if something seems as though it'll be bland, you probably need to add seasoning. 

The Verdict
4.5/5. It was eaten up right away! And the leftovers were gone today! It definitely needs seasoning-salt, pepper, onion, garlic, and/or mushrooms--pretty much whatever you like in your spaghetti sauce. I didn't make the whole recipe and freeze it because I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but I would definitely recommend it!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails