Sunday, April 17, 2011

Swiss Steak Dinner--Never Again

I have never cooked with cube steak before. Truthfully, this recipe has kind of ruined that again. Another new tag I've added to the blog is the Never Again. Recipes that we have tried but don't even want to experiment with will be tagged with this. Hopefully there won't be too many, but we all know that cooking is a bunch of experiments!

This recipe is fromt he cheap and easy cookbook I got as a gift. Sorry I forgot to take a picture.

Swiss Steak Dinner

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 pounds beef cube steaks
  • 29 ounce can tomato sauce
  • 14 3/4 ounce can beef gravy
  • 28 ounce package frozen diced potatoes with green pepper and onion, thawed
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; brown steaks. Drain; place in large stockpot. Add tomato sauce, gravy and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

The Changes
I did add seasoning to the sauce: garlic, onion, seasoned salt, and pepper. It was too bland without it.

The Lessons
If a recipe seems as though it has too much of something, it probably does. We thought all 28 ounces of tomato sauce would bee too much, but put it all in anyway. The amount of tomato was part of what ruined this dish.

The Verdict
1.5/5. We gave this more than a one only because we were able to eat it. We did not enjoy it. As I said before, the tomato sauce was too much. If I made it again, I would double the gravy and halve the tomato sauce. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails