Thursday, April 14, 2011

Individual Campfire Stew

I was really excited to make this meal! It was something completely different that I had never tried before! I don't know if I would make this again, because I did not like it, but everyone else I made it for enjoyed it!

The Changes
I used ground turkey instead of ground beef. Normally I do not have a problem, but for this recipe I would definitely suggest using ground beef for both the texture and the visual aspects.

The Lessons
It was hard to tell with this recipe if the meat was cooked thoroughly. It was partially because of the stew, and I think partially because of the turkey, which is why I would suggest using beef.
Like I said before, I would add some cheese, onions or garlic to the beef for extra flavor. The beef itself ends up kind of bland.

The Verdict
3/5 Stars. That rating is by everyone else that ate this meal. I was not a fan of the texture for the most part. Definitely try it though!

Individual Campfire Stew-Picture by Taste of Home
Individual Campfire Stew
  • egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
  • 2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 1 cup condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
  • 1/4 cup milk

  • Prepare grill for indirect heat. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties. Place each patty on a greased double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square); sprinkle each with potatoes and carrots.
  • Combine soup and milk; spoon over meat and vegetables. Fold foil around mixture and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 25-30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape.
Serves 4
Total Time: 35 minutes

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails