Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 8 corn tortillas, halved, then cut crosswise into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans
- 1 1/2 cups jarred mild tomato salsa
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce shredded
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup black olives, sliced
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the beans and 1 cup salsa; bring to a simmer over high heat. Lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Allow diners to create their own haystacks with lettuce, bean mixture, topped with cheese, tortilla strips, sour cream and/or black olives.