Thursday, October 11, 2012

French Onion Soup

My grandma and mom always seemed to get french onion soup when we would go out to eat in the winter time. For the longest time I didn't want to try it because it was brown, and looked kind of gross, and I knew it had a lot of onions in it (which I thought I didn't like).

Now that I'm older, I've tried this soup at restaurants and love it! I put onions (especially cooked ones) in almost everything where it makes sense. I love cheese. I love bread. I love warm soups! I was so excited when I found this recipe! It had great flavor to it, and would be great as a side to steak or chicken for dinner.

I don't have oven safe bowls, so I just put the soup with bread and cheese in the microwave for about a minute to melt the cheese. It's not quite the same as broiling it, which is why I'm keeping the recipe that says that. But it's still delicious!

French Onion Soup-Adapted from Cooking Light's "Comfort Food"
Total Time: 2 and 1/2 hours
Serves 8

  • 2 teaspoons olive oil 
  • 4 cups thinly vertically sliced sweet onion 
  • 4 cups thinly vertically sliced red onion 
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar 
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine 
  • 8 cups less-sodium beef broth 
  • 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme 
  • 8 (1-ounce) slices French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes 
  • 8 (1-ounce) slices reduced-fat, reduced-sodium Swiss cheese
Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions to pan; sauté for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in sugar, pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to medium; cook 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Increase heat to medium-high, and sauté for 5 minutes or until onion is golden brown. Stir in wine, and cook for 1 minute. Add broth and thyme; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours.

**If you have oven safe bowls follow directions below. If not, add the bread and cheese and pop in the microwave for about 1 minute**

Preheat broiler. Place bread in a single layer on a baking sheet; broil 2 minutes or until toasted, turning after 1 minute. Place 8 ovenproof bowls on a jelly-roll pan. Ladle 1 cup soup into each bowl. Divide bread evenly among bowls; top each serving with 1 cheese slice. Broil 3 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails