Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Pot Roast with Lemon

I love pot roast. It's one of those things that I grew up with. My grandma would make it all the time, in an oven bag and make the absolute best gravy! I haven't gotten up the courage to make it that way yet, but I finally tried a roast outside of the crockpot!

The original recipe calls for lamb, but I'm not that fancy, so I stuck to a beef shoulder roast. I was a little worried when I first took the roast out of the oven that it wasn't going to cook long enough as it was still bloody. I ended up leaving it in another 25 minutes, instead of 15. It probably would've been fine at 15 minutes. The lemon flavor is great, but not over powering. The roast is a little dry, as they usually tend to be. But it was great with some gravy and mashed potatoes.

I forgot a picture. But I promise it was yummy looking!

Pot Roast with Lemon-adapted from "Cook This Now" by Melissa Clark
Total Time: 2 Hours
Serves 6

  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1-3 1/2-4 pound boneless beef shoulder roast
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
  • 2 lemons
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 2 cups water
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Season the lamb with salt, pepper, and 2 cloves of garlic; refrigerate until ready to cook. Finely grate the zest of both lemons and reserve; juice the lemons.

Heat the oil in a large, oven-safe Dutch oven until almost smoking. Sear the roast in the oil until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Pour the lemon juice over the roast, and add enough water to cover about half the roast (about 2 cups). Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat.

Cover the pot and transfer to the oven. Cook for 45 minutes then turn the meat over in the pot, add remaining garlic, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Stir in reserved lemon zest and continue to cook for 15 more minutes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails