Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Teriyaki Chicken

As a kid, my parents always made the same three chicken recipes over and over again (or at least that's how it always seemed to me at the time): lemon chicken, parmesan chicken and teriyaki chicken. I remember vividly one time where I got so mad at my dad for wanting to make chicken for dinner again. Because every time we had chicken, my mom would make a chicken casserole with the leftovers. I honestly just got sick of chicken. Which just seems crazy talk to me now.

Now, I cook chicken at least once a week and realize how versatile it can be! I can't remember the last time I've had a teriyaki chicken. The best thing about this recipe is that the teriyaki doesn't come from a bottle. I'm really starting to get into making my own sauces and mixes, instead of having to buy sodium laden bottled stuff where you don't really know what's in it or it costs a dollar every time you want to use it.

I also, as usual, didn't read through the entire recipe, so didn't realize this needed to bake for an hour. I was just too hungry to wait that long, so just mixed everything up on the stovetop. Still turned out fantastic! I've put both directions below, as I might try to bake it next time because I have a feeling it might turn out as more of a sticky consistency instead of a marinade that happened on the stove. I served this with the Fried Rice with Kale and Mushrooms and egg rolls!


Teriyaki Chicken-adapted from Mushki Loves
Total Time: 15 Minutes (stovetop), 1 hour (oven)
Serves 4
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 4 chicken breasts, chopped into bite size pieces
Stovetop Directions:
In a large skillet, over medium heat, put all ingredients. Cook until sauce is slightly thickened, and chicken is cooked through. About 15 minutes.

Oven Directions (not tested):
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small saucepan, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, butter, water and dry mustard until boiling. Meanwhile, place chicken in a lightly greased baking pan. Pour mixture over pan. Cook, uncovered, for 1 hour or until bubbly.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails