Saturday, August 3, 2013

Fried Rice with Kale and Mushrooms

Fried rice is one of my favorite side dishes. I don't think you can ever have enough recipes for it. As of now, this is only my third (successful) attempt: Beef Fried Rice and Fried Rice with Sweet Soy Sauce.

This recipe was one of my favorites so far. Scott was really hesitant when I was telling him kale was in the recipe. His only knowledge of kale is from working at a country club in high school where it was a garnish. He hasn't realized the kale-kraze that I see on Pinterest daily.

So this was my first experience with kale. I didn't use as much a the original recipe called for, however, I didn't want to over do it. The flavors were amazing and I especially love the mushroom addition (because of my current addiction).


Fried Rice with Kale and Mushrooms-adapted from Pink Parsley
Total Time: 15 Minutes
Serves: 4
  • 1/4 pound kale, thick stems discarded
  • 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, hinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • kosher salt, to taste
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
  • 3 green onions, thinly sliced 
  • 2 cups cooked rice
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • sesame seeds, for serving
Roll a few kale leaves tightly, and thinly slice to form ribbons.  Run your knife through the kale a few times to chop it into smaller pieces.

In a large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering.  Add the kale and mushrooms, and cook, stirring often, until they are softened and tender, about 5 to 8 minutes.  Season with salt.  Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, and stirring constantly, cook until fragrant but not browned, about one minute.  Stir in the green onions and rice, and cook another 2 minutes, stirring often.  Add the soy sauce, cook another 30 seconds, and season to taste with salt, additional soy sauce, and/or red pepper flakes. Top with a sprinkling of sesame seeds.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails