Sunday, April 28, 2013

Fried Rice with Sweet Soy Sauce

Finding the ultimate homemade fried rice recipe is one of my goals. Fried rice is one of my favorite things when I order Chinese takeout. We have a rice cooker that we absolutely love as I've found the perfect ratio of rice to water that makes perfect rice every time.

This recipe wasn't quite the perfect one for me. The serrano chile made this a little too spicy for me, and I don't think I'd keep that in the recipe next time. Otherwise the flavors were fine and I'd make it again. I served it with chicken marinated in sweet chile and hoisin sauce.


Fried Rice with Sweet Soy Sauce-adapted from Cooking Light's Dinner Tonight!
Total Time: 35 Minutes
Serves 4
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 large eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 finely chopped shallot
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 chopped serrano chile (which I will be omitting next time-it was too hot for me)
  • 4 cups cooked rice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced radishes
  • 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in skillet over medium high heat. Cook eggs until set, turning once. Remove eggs from pan and set aside. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together soy sauce and brown sugar to make sweet soy sauce.

Turn up heat on pan to high, and add in remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Stir fry shallot, garlic and chile for 1 minute. Add rice and stir fry for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add cooked eggs, sweet soy cauce, salt and pepper and toss to combine.

Top with radishes and herbs. Serve with protein of your choice.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails