Thursday, April 18, 2013

Horseradish Mashed Potatoes

I like to think that I make some pretty stellar mashed potatoes. I usually add milk, butter, and cheese. Depending on what's on hand, I might add some sour cream, cream cheese or even ranch. I still, however, want to expand my mashed potato making abilities. The horseradish in this recipe scared me a bit. The flavor of horseradish has never been my favorite, but part of the reason I have this blog and cook is to be adventurous, so why not try it, right?

Well, let me tell you, the addition of the horseradish was great! It added just a little extra kick of flavor to the potatoes. I definitely think this is going to be my new 'secret' (or not so secret now) ingredient in my mashed potatoes!

Horseradish Mashed Potatoes-adapted from 'Cooking with Kare'
Total Time: 30 Minutes
Serves 8

  • 3 pounds baking potatoes, peeled (if desired), cut into large chunks
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 4 ounces prepared horseradish
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
In a large saucepan cook potatoes in boiling water until fork-tender; drain. Mash potatoes until most of the large chunks are out. Add milk slowly (be sure to not to add too much if you don't have quite three pounds), and butter, mash until well mixed. Stir in horseradish; season to taste with salt and white pepper.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails