Monday, August 22, 2011

Baked Oatmeal

I can't remember if I've ever truly loved oatmeal. I never hated it, but I don't ever crave it. I think my years working at Perkins and trying to use regular oats to make instant oatmeal at 2 in the morning really turned me off. But, Stephanie O'Dea has always given me something new to try in the slow cooker. I was at least going to try this! My oatmeal turned out extremely dry to the point that it was almost uneatable. I tried to salvage it, but that just didn't happen. I think I might try this again, but I'll just have to watch it a little more. You can really make this your own by adding your favorite fruit or seasoning (some people in the comments of Stephanie's blog said they added cocoa powder). Overall, a 2.5/5, but I want to try this again!


Baked Oatmeal
Baked Oatmeal-adapted from "Make it Fast, Cook it Slow" by Stephanie O'Dea
Total Time: 5 hours
Serves 8
  • 3 cups rolled (not instant) oats
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup dried fruit
  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Use a four quart slow cooker. Put the dry ingredients into the stoneware and add the dried fruit, milk, butter, vanilla and eggs. Stir well to combine. Cover and cook on low for 3-5 hours, checking after 90 minutes. The oatmeal is done when the edges are brown and are beginning to crust, the center is set, and a knife inserted comes out clean. Let it sit in the cooling cooker for at least an hour before attempting to cut it. The longer you let it sit, the more set and brownie-like the pieces will be.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails