Sunday, August 14, 2011

Stacked Enchilada Bake

Like I've said before, we love Mexican food! After making the corn & spinach enchiladas last week, I had leftover corn tortillas. So I decided to make this dish! It is technically vegetarian, but after making it and reading the reviews over at bettycrocker.com  I think I would add some chicken or ground beef next time. This time I bought one can of chili beans and one can of chili just to mix things up. There were way to many beans for my taste. I think I would use pinto beans instead of chili beans, just because I like them better. And I might do one layer over refried beans instead of whole beans, once again just because I like them! I would also add black olives. Cheese is definitely necessary after the first layer as well. You can never have too much cheese!

I also just realized I didn't follow the recipe completely. I never even saw that you're supposed to rip up the tortillas! I put them in whole. It turned out just fine, but I'll keep the recipe the same. Overall, I'd give this a 2.5/5, but I think I can make it work. I'll just have to make it again!

Before it went in the oven!

Just out of the oven!

It didn't end up coming out of the casserole quite as pretty, but it tasted alright!


Stacked Enchilada Bake adapted from BettyCrocker.com
Total Time: 30 Minutes
Serves 6

  • 12 corn tortillas (5 to 6 inches in diameter), torn into pieces
  • 1 can refried beans
  • 1 can pinto beans, undrained
  • 1 cup shredded cooked chicken or ground beef
  • 1 can enchilada sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 3 medium green onions, slicked
  • 1 can sliced black olives (if desired)
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 2 quart casserole with cooking spray.

Place half the tortillas in the casserole; top with refried beans, half the meat and sprinkling of cheese.  Place other half of tortillas on top, followed by meat, beans, and enchilada sauce. Add the remainder of cheese, green onions and black olives on top. 

Bake in oven for 20 minutes uncovered or until  bubbly around the edges.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails