Sunday, December 1, 2013

Slow Cooker Stuffing

Stuffing is one of those things that is just necessary for Thanksgiving. I can tell you that I've never really been a fan. My grandmother used to make this crazy, weird stuffing that includes the liver and everything else from the turkey. It was good, but not what most people think of for stuffing. I've also never had a desire to actually STUFF the bird. So this year, with the limited resources of my oven, I decided to try a slow cooker stuffing recipe.

I actually got the idea from my mom, and as I was talking to her Thanksgiving morning, we realized we ended up making the same recipe! She said she just bought a bag of bread crumbs, while I ended up using fresh bread. I think the best thing about that is you can really use whatever kind of bread you have on hand. I bought a french bread loaf earlier in the week, cut it into cubes on Wednesday night and they were nice and dry Thursday morning!

I did read a lot of the reviews on this recipe before making it, and the one thing everyone said was to not add all the chicken broth right away. I'd definitely have to agree! I only added two cups, thinking it was just moist, but by the end of cooking it was very wet. I ended up adding in some additional cornbread breadcrumbs I had on hand, and placing a paper towel under the cover to soak up some of the condensation. That being said, it turned out really tasty!


Slow Cooker Stuffing-adapted from AllRecipes.com
Total Time: 5 hours
Serves 16
  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 cups onion, diced
  • 1 cup celery, diced
  • 2 tablespoons dried parsley
  • 8 ounces mushrooms, diced
  • 12 cups dry bread cubes
  • 1 teaspoon rotisserie seasoning
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • Up to 4 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 eggs, beaten
Melt butter in a medium skillet and saute onion, celery and parsley until tender.

In a 6 quart slow cooker, combine vegetable mixture, bread crumbs and seasonings by stirring gently. Slowly pour in broth, about 1/2-1 cup at a time until just moistened. Mix in eggs. Cover and cook on low for at least 4 hours. Check stuffing once an hour and stir. If it is getting dry, add more chicken broth. If too wet, add additional bread crumbs or cubes, and/or place a paper towel between the cover and slow cooker to catch the condensation.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails