Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Apple Wild Rice Salad

So after making this dish I learned Scott is not a fan of wild rice. Which shocks me! I love the heartiness of wild rice and think it really brings something extra to a meal! The one thing I'm not particularly fond of--how long it takes to cook! I don't know that I've ever cooked with true wild rice (not from a box), so that was a bit of a shock for me!

Back to the recipe...

I didn't realize how much this recipe makes, but its TEN FREAKING SERVINGS! so I would definitely recommend halving it unless you want a lot of leftovers or are bringing this to a party. I like this idea for a party because it's actually supposed to be served cold! Because I'm terrible at fully reading directions before I start something, I didn't realize how long this would take and we ate it warm. It was still pretty good, but, if you're like Scott and not a wild rice fan, it's most likely not for you!


Apple Wild Rice Salad-adapted from Taste of Home
Total Time: 1 hour + chilling, if desired
Serves 10
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked wild rice
  • 2 gala apples, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons, plus 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 4 teaspoons olive oil
  • 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
Cook wild rice according to package directions. Transfer to a large bowl.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, toss apples with two tablespoons orange juice. In a medium bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients together. Add apples to rice, and drizzle dressing, tossing to coat. Refrigerate until chilled, if desired.





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails