Chicken Gyros & Tzatziki Sauce - adapted from Cafe Johnsonia
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4" strips
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped dill
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- a few tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- 8-10 small pitas
For the Sauce
- 1 large container Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, grated and drained (see note and picture below)
- 2-3 Tbsp. fresh dill, finely chopped
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 1-2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- a drizzle of olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper--to taste
Marinate the chicken in all the ingredients for several hours (I only got about 30 minutes, but I can only imagine it gets better).
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add one tablespoon of olive oil. Saute the chicken and onions until the chicken is cooked through.
To make the sauce, mix all ingredients together and let sit for an hour for all the flavors to meld.
Place chicken evenly into the pitas and serve with the Tzatziki sauce.