Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Caramel Rice Krispie Bars

For what seems like FOREVER I have been craving rice krispie treats. I don't know why, but the thought of making them myself has always terrified me. I think I tried once a long time ago and way over cooked the marshmallows so the bars were uber hard.

I made this recipe for the Superbowl gathering we had and they were AMAZING. I LOVED the caramel flavor, and the chocolate turned out great. It really was an easy, albeit sticky, recipe.


Caramel Rice Krispie Bars-adapted from Making Memories with your Kids
Total Time: 45 Minutes (that includes cooling time)
Makes 28 bars

  • 1 cup caramels
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 10 ounce bag mini marshmallows
  • 6 cups rice krispie cereal
  • 1 bag chocolate chips
  • 1 tablespoon shortening
In a large saucepan, melt the caramels and butter, stirring frequently, until smooth. Add the marshmallows, and stir until melted. Turn off the heat and add in the rice krispies, stirring until completely coated. Pour into a lightly greased 9x12 inch baking pan. Let cool for about 30 minutes.

Once cool, place chocolate chips and shortening into a microwave safe bowl. Heat in mircowave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each round, until fully melted. Pour over rice krispies and spread across entire pan. Let cool and cut into squares.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails