Saturday, September 17, 2011

Rhubarb Pie

I have always heard wonderful things about rhubarb pie. I can't remember ever trying it. I know I had never baked with it because it took me for-freaking-ever to find it in the grocery store. But in the end, I loved it! It was kind of a pain to chop it all up, but it still was awesome! The meringue didn't set quite as well as I wanted it to, but it definitely tasted good! I made my own pie crust, because I still just don't think it is that difficult. I get if you want to buy it pre-made, but just promise me you will try the crust just once! Overall this was a 5/5!

Baked Pie Crust & the Rhubarb Mixture! 
The final product!

Yummm!!!
Rhubarb Pie-adapted from Glorious American Food by Christopher Idone's
Serves 6
Total Time: 45 Minutes
  • Pie Crust (pre-made or make your own!)
  • 1 1/2 pounds young, pink rhubarb stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 3/4 cups sugar
  • 2 tablespoons quick cooking tapioca
Meringue
  • 2 egg whites, at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wash the rhubarb pieces and drain. In a nonaluminium saucepan, combine the rhubarb with the sugar and tapioca. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat until the rhubarb is tender, about 12 minutes. Turn the mixture into a bowl to cool to room temperature.

When cooled, spread the rhubarb filling evenly in the pie shell.

Prepare the meringue: With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until foamy. Gradually add the sugar, and beat until the whites are stiff and glossy. Place the meringue into a pastry bag and pipe the meringue in lattice fashion over the rhubarb mixture.

Bake the pie for 10 minutes or until the meringue is golden. Serve at room temperature.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

You can find rhubarb in farmers markets in spring/early summer as that is it's primary season. I will usually get extra and freeze it for later in the year when it usually isn't available.

I enjoy regular rhubarb pie, but my preference is strawberry -rhubarb pie. The sweetness of the strawberries contrasts perfectly with the tartness of the rhubarb.

That being said, I've never had meringue on a rhubarb pie. I may have to try this.

Unknown said...

It was definitely an experience! And I tried finding it at farmer's markets, but didn't quite have the luck. But now I know to look for next year! Thanks for the comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails