Saturday, September 24, 2011

Chicken Salad

I've never made chicken salad before. I honestly don't know if I've ever even had it. It always looks pretty good though. So I came across a recipe in the Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook (which is one of the best beginner cookbooks out there-fyi!) and decided to try it! I'm a sucker for not reading recipes the whole way through before I go to cook them so I couldn't chill this like I was supposed to for the first time we ate it. I'll definitely do that next time but it still turned out great! I just poached some chicken to use, but you could use the rotisserie chicken or leftovers or whatever you choose! Overall, we'd give this a 4/5!


Chicken Salad over Arugula Greens
Chicken Salad-Adapted from Better Home's and Garden's New Cookbook
Serves 4
Total Time 1 1/2 hours
  • 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion (2)
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
  • 1 teaspoon fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • Bread or mixed salad greens (optional)
In a medium bowl combine chicken, celery and green onion. For dressing, in a small bowl stir together mayonnaise  basil, salt and pepper. Pour dressing over chicken mixture; toss to coat. Cover and chill for 1 to 4 hours. Serve as a sandwich filling on bread slices or over salad greens.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails