Thursday, December 10, 2009

Heat's How To: Poach Chicken

Before I made the Buffalo Chicken Dip, I needed to figure out how to poach chicken to be able to shred.  I found this technique and it has proved useful, I rewrote some of it below:




  • Place chicken breasts in a pot that's just about large enough to fit them in one layer. Two medium chicken breasts fit snugly in my 2 quart round oven.


  • Add poaching liquid (I just use water, but you can use chicken broth or seasoning) so that it completely covers the chicken by at least a half inch to an inch.


  • After bringing the liquid to a boil, reduce heat to a bare simmer so that only an occasional bubble breaks the surface. At this point, partly cover the pot, cook for about 10 minutes, then turn off the heat, leaving the chicken to finish cooking in the hot water for 10-15 more minutes.


  • Remove chicken, then enjoy it warm or refrigerate it for later use. Slice or shred your poached chicken depending on what you want to use it for.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails