Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Summer Squash Soup

I was slightly nervous to make this soup. The last time I made a soup that required a blender was a split pea soup, that I didn't even put on this blog. However, I'm INCREDIBLY glad I tried this soup! I added some crushed red pepper and it made all the difference in the flavor of this soup! It's a hearty soup with a lot of nutrients. The romano cheese also made the flavors great. I had extra green onions, so I chopped them up for an additional garnish.


Summer Squash Soup-adapted from Healthy Cooking Recipe Cards by Taste of Home
Total Time: 30 Minutes
Serves 8

  • 2 large sweet onions, chopped
  • 1 medium leek (white portion only), chopped
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 6 medium yellow summer squash, cubed
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 4 fresh thyme sprigs
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon seasoned pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 cup romano cheese
In a large saucepan, saute the onions, leek and garlic in oil until tender. Add squash and saute 5 minutes longer. Add broth, thyme, and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.

Discard thyme sprigs. Cool slightly. In a blender, process soup in batched until smooth. Return all to the pan, stir in lemon juice, hot pepper sauce, pepper and red pepper flakes and heat through. Sprinkle each serving with romano cheese.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails