Monday, October 21, 2013

Pumpkin Cookies

I'm not going to lie, I've never really gotten on the whole "It's fall, let's make everything with pumpkin!!" train. I don't mind pumpkin, but I don't HAVE to have it. That being said, I'm so glad that I tried this recipe!

My new favorite way to make cookies is to aerate the flour through a metal strainer. It just makes them so fluffy and cake like! The first time I tried it was on these cookies and I don't know that I'm ever going to not do that again!

The frosting on this was super easy, and ended up more like a glaze. The flavors were fantastic!


Pumpkin Cookies-adapted from The General Store of Minnetonka Cookbook
Total Time: 1 hour
Makes 4 dozen cookies
Cookies
  • 3 1/2 cups sifted flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking sode
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon cloves
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 beaten eggs
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
Icing
  • 5 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 5 tablespoons milk
  • 1 cup powdered sugar, more if desired
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients, except sugar, in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, cream shortening, sugar, eggs and pumpkin. Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Drop from rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Let cool before frosting.


Meanwhile, bring the first three icing ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat, set aside and cool for at least an hour. Add powdered sugar until thick or desired consistency. Frost cookies to taste once cookies are cool.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails