Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup-adapted from American Classics by Taste of Home
Total Time: 1 Hour
- 2 medium onions, diced, divided
- 2 celery ribs, diced, divided
- 4 cups water
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 14 1/2 ounces chicken broth
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillion granules
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 1 3/4 cups milk, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Place one onion and celery in a Dutch oven. Add the water, chicken, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and strain broth; set both aside.
In the same pan, saute remaining diced onion and celery in butter until tender. Add canned broth, carrot, potato, bouillon, basil and reserved broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Add noodles, return to a boil and cook 6-8 minutes or until noodles are tender. Cut chicken into chunks; add to soup. Stir in 1 1/4 cups milk and heat through.
Combine flour and remining milk until smooth; add tos oup, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.