Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Apple Kuchen

I don't know about you, but when I hear the word "kuchen" I think of a giant pancake (like the Original Pancake House's Dutch Baby or Apple Pancake). I'm not quite sure where this recipe ended up. I didn't 100% follow it as I didn't include the marmalade. I feel like we always make fun of a place, like Perkins, when they have orange marmalade on the table and say "who eats that?" so I just assumed we wouldn't need it for the recipe.

While this wasn't a bad recipe, I think I was wrong. The marmalade is necessary. Or apple butter. Or something to bring it a bit of moisture. If you're a fan of kuchen, though, definitely let me know what i may have been missing. Or just give this a try and tell me if it's close to what you'd expect...I truly had no idea what to expect when I realized it wasn't a pancake--I just needed to use up some apples!


Apple Kuchen-adapted from Best Baking Recipes by Cooking Light
Total Time: 1 hour
Serves 15

  • 3 baking apples, peeled, sliced and cored
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 cup sugar, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened and divided
  • 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup apricot preserves or apple butter
  • 2 teaspoons apple juice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine apple slices, lemon juice, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon salt and toss to combine.

Combine flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt and baking powder in a medium bowl, stirring well. Place remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 6 tablespoons butter and cream cheese in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, beating well. Stir in vanilla. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined.

Pour batter into a 13x9 inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Arrange apples over batter. melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter and brush over apples. Bake for 45 minutes or until set.

Combine preserves and apple juice; microwave on high for 30 seconds or until melted, stirring once. Brush mixture over apples; cool.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails