Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Heat's Homemade: Marshmallow Fluff

Tomorrow, I will be showing you what I made this marshmallow fluff for as I'm usually not a huge sweet fan. The original recipe calls for the use of a stand mixer. I don't yet have one of those. I know, right? Isn't that just terrible? Believe me, I've been asking for one! Didn't happen this Christmas, but I'm relatively confident I'll get one within the next year...between the wedding and the registry discounts it WILL happen.

Anyway, I don't have a stand mixer so I used a hand mixer. I don't think I let it mix enough to be honest. But my hand was starting to hurt, so I kind of gave up. But it tasted great! I think it just could've been a bit more stiff, so I'd say the important part of this is making sure there get to be stiff peaks!


Homemade Marshmallow Fluff-adapted from How Sweet It Is
Total Time: 10 Minutes
Serves I have no idea...I didn't measure it. More than tomorrow's recipe

  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 2/3 cup white corn syrup
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • pinch salt
Whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl until white and fluffy. In a small sauce pan, heat corn syrup, sugar and water over medium heat until mixture boils. Let boil about 5 minutes, or until temperature reaches 240 degrees with a candy thermometer. 

Carefully pour the hot mixture into the egg whites while beating with a whisk attachment or hand mixer. Add in the vanilla and salt. Continue to mix for about 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Store the remainder in the fridge.

2 comments:

Terri @ that's some good cookin' said...

I have always wanted to make this stuff. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Unknown said...

Thanks Terri! Let me know if you give it a try--just make sure to beat it enough :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails