Saturday, February 21, 2015

Peanut butter oatmeal banana cupcakes

Do you freeze your bananas when they get ripe? I think I learned this from my mom. Once the bananas get to the point that you don't want to eat them by themselves anymore, wrap them in tin foil, put them in a freezer bag, and stick in the freezer. We eat a lot of bananas, and sometimes, my eyes at the store are bigger than what Scott and I actually eat throughout the week. All you need to do when you're ready to make these cupcakes (or banana bread) is put the bag in the fridge to thaw. Then they're perfectly ripe to mash!

I call these cupcakes, but I feel like they actually have more of a muffin feel to them. Because I put frosting on them, I've determine they're cupcakes. It's a real simple recipe, that Scott, and my coworkers, loved. Because I took them to work, I also got to use my cupcake carrier. Which is one of my favorite things!

I obviously need to work on my frosting skills

Peanut butter oatmeal banana cupcakes-adapted from Tasty Kitchen
Total time: 40 minutes
Makes 12 cupcakes

Muffins
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed
Frosting
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1-3 tablespoons low fat milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of your mixer, combine the dry ingredients for the muffins just until combined. Add in all the wet ingredients and mix until combined.

Spoon batter into a muffin tin filled with cupcake liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let cupcakes cool completely. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix all ingredients for the frosting. Add as much milk as needed for desired consistency of the frosting. Spread onto cooled cupcakes.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails